Kibaki's Rural electrification in very impressive

Politics
RV Pundit
Level: Council of the gods

Kibaki's Rural electrification in very impressive

Unread post by RV Pundit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:37 am

--90% of all public secondary schools and trading centers connected.
--60% of all primary schools connected...13k out of 22K primary schools.

And by end of the yrs; they want to do 100%.

UHURUTO should make sure they move from 26% HH connected to close to 100%.

Nearly everyone now is some meters away from a transformer. GOV should subsidize connection fee...from 30-70k...to 10k or less..if not free.

There are about 10-12m; so if you do 8m HH times 70K;divided by 5yrs; you're talking about 112B annually.

It is steep..but it doable...
The only hope for kenya is devolution

vooke

Re: Kibaki's Rural electrification in very impressive

Unread post by vooke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:03 am

Good job.
They also need to kill the thermal generators money minting cartel,otherwise KPLC will NEVER enjoy economies of scale
"No warrior entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier." (2 Timothy 2:4)..

RV Pundit

Unread post by RV Pundit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:08 am

It should be KPLC doing the easy job of flouting a connection bond; they can get it at 6%; and they can then connect folks for nearly free; and then have that connection fee repaid slowly.....and thro' their pre-paid meters...they can avoid having to ran around.

KPLC and Kengen remain disappointing.

REA has done this thro' Rural electrification levy on our power bills and CDF; Now that they will be done by Dec 2013; Gov should give them a new lease- of connecting households....leaving KPLC to just do the metering.
vooke wrote:Good job.
They also need to kill the thermal generators money minting cartel,otherwise KPLC will NEVER enjoy economies of scale

Sixty Four
Level: Lord Barons

Unread post by Sixty Four » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:34 am

RV Pundit wrote:--90% of all public secondary schools and trading centers connected.
--60% of all primary schools connected...13k out of 22K primary schools.

And by end of the yrs; they want to do 100%.

UHURUTO should make sure they move from 26% HH connected to close to 100%.

Nearly everyone now is some meters away from a transformer. GOV should subsidize connection fee...from 30-70k...to 10k or less..if not free.

There are about 10-12m; so if you do 8m HH times 70K;divided by 5yrs; you're talking about 112B annually.

It is steep..but it doable...
I know rural constituencies where connections to secondary schools is 100%,Public Primary schools is above 90% and market centres are almost all done. On this, we must acknowledge the work done by the Kibaki Government. This was a true success.
Could this also explain the promotion of Eng. Njoroge of KPLC?

RV Pundit

Unread post by RV Pundit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:40 am

Not sure how Njoroge comes in. I think KPLC only collect the rural electrification levy on behalf of gov.This plus CDF are responsible for great work..not KPLC. I think Kibaki goons have eaten from KPLC and Kengen.Eng Njoroge i hope he stays there kidogo for sector memory and as soon as ChirChir understand the sector; he should have him moved.

Canadanians from Manitoba should have stayed LONGER.

KPLC should be able to connect at least 50% of kenyans...surely that is achievable in few short yrs...Ivory coast,ghana,zim...have about 50% of their HH connected.
Sixty Four wrote: I know rural constituencies where connections to secondary schools is 100%,Public Primary schools is above 90% and market centres are almost all done. On this, we must acknowledge the work done by the Kibaki Government. This was a true success.

Kichwa Mbaya

Unread post by Kichwa Mbaya » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:42 am

How often is the power actually available? Also let us not forget that it was a coalition government.

RV Pundit

Unread post by RV Pundit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:53 am

Hard to come by statistics; By i had rather we go for quantity now....as in connecting everyone...then we can worry about the quality connection later...for guys who never had power..having power even for half the day....is something...

Kichwa this are kind of politics we want; the kind of REFORMS we want; Not MaKelele ya NUSU kabeti or VIP Lounge.I think when history is written..the perception that Raila was not pro-maendeleo like Kibaki....will be main reason he will never see pork.

CORD need to join Jubilee in seeking these kinds of BrEAD and BUTTer reforms.
Kichwa Mbaya wrote:How often is the power actually available? Also let us not forget that it was a coalition government.

Sixty Four

Unread post by Sixty Four » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:04 am

Connecting rural folk in Kenya is hard. Kenya is just 25% urban and 75% rural. Highly urbanised countries such as in west Africa and North Africa will definitely get higher results quicker. Sooner or later, connecting the next customer is going to be harder and more expensive. Moving from 75% of HH in Nairobi to 90% may be possible. But moving from 33% in RV to say 50% is going to take a lot of work.
The Kibaki model of targeting schools and market centres worked and will work but getting the HH to connect is another matter.
RV Pundit wrote:
KPLC should be able to connect at least 50% of kenyans...surely that is achievable in few short yrs...Ivory coast,ghana,zim...have about 50% of their HH connected.
Sixty Four wrote: I know rural constituencies where connections to secondary schools is 100%,Public Primary schools is above 90% and market centres are almost all done. On this, we must acknowledge the work done by the Kibaki Government. This was a true success.

Sixty Four

Unread post by Sixty Four » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:11 am

Power by the way is regular and fairly continuous in Kenya.
I have worked in a few countries in Africa and found the Kenyan supply to be quite good both in terms of reliability and quality. There are times, but not many, when the system disappoints.
I think KPLC is sometimes over vilified.
Kichwa Mbaya wrote:How often is the power actually available? Also let us not forget that it was a coalition government.

RV Pundit

Unread post by RV Pundit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:16 am

Why not.When you have connected every secondary,primary,health Center and trading center in every corner of this country; then it means you have laid the backbone;

From my observation...40K plus wiring cost of 10K...50K is main bottleneck...otherwise everyone is nearly 600Ms from a transformer....now how do we reduce that 40K (or 70K) connection fee?

Options....1...would be to delink connection from KPLC....and cut off corruption....just allow every Electrician with a certificate...the ability to do the last mile...so you buy a pole or cut down yours..have it treated...go to hardware...buy wires....and come and erect...your line to the transformer...call KPLC guys..to shut down the transformer...and put it on.Trust me...it will be much cheaper and faster...for some guys they are 1 pole away from transformer..and yet they have to pay 30-70K.

I have an issue..with cost of pole..20k and cost of those coper wires...cost of labour/manual KPLC workers....they buy trees for 3k...take it to be treated 100Kms away..bring it back...and that become 20K..tell me any place in kenya where you cannot find ecaluptus....you just need a mobile treatment plant..

It would seem the main cost element in connection fee...is post..i think majority of kenyans have no issues with wayleaves...they sign those bila mateso.

Option...2...GOV pick the tabs..

Option...3...KPLC pick the tabs..thro' bond...they charge 70k connection fee...over 10yrs....and folks can pretty much afford that.

Sixty Four wrote:Connecting rural folk in Kenya is hard. Kenya is just 25% urban and 75% rural. Highly urbanised countries such as in west Africa and North Africa will definitely get higher results quicker. Sooner or later, connecting the next customer is going to be harder and more expensive. Moving from 75% of HH in Nairobi to 90% may be possible. But moving from 33% in RV to say 50% is going to take a lot of work.
The Kibaki model of targeting schools and market centres worked and will work but getting the HH to connect is another matter.

RV Heavy hitter!

Unread post by RV Heavy hitter! » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:31 am

As standards of living improve, rural electrification will continue. There are folks still living in grass thatched houses all over rural Kenya. I think setting up robust mortgage programs targeting Rural folks with property like land and other securities will be good in the long run. I doubt someone with a modern house will continue using kerosine like the grass man. :lol:
With Love, Marriage is the most amazing event in one's life, the foundation of happiness, joy and success. , RVhh!
Natukae kwa Undugu, Amani na UHURU Muigai.'' - The National Anthem of Kenya

RV Pundit

Unread post by RV Pundit » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:46 am

Yeah the grass man...very bad poverty there...there are parts of bomet esp chepalungu...where it seem every hse is grass-thatched..in our place..there is barely any grass hse....i hope we had stats freely available and online....so policy wonks and the general public can be informed.
RV Heavy hitter! wrote:As standards of living improve, rural electrification will continue. There are folks still living in grass thatched houses all over rural Kenya. I think setting up robust mortgage programs targeting Rural folks with property like land and other securities will be good in the long run. I doubt someone with a modern house will continue using kerosine like the grass man. :lol:

a4architect

Unread post by a4architect » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:50 am

Solar power is the key to kenya and africas energy needs.

Twenty-two percent of Germany’s power is generated with renewables. Solar provides close to a quarter of that. The southern German state of Bavaria, population 12.5 million, has three photovoltaic panels per resident, which adds up to more installed solar capacity than in the entire United States.

Germany is the world's top photovoltaics (PV) installer, with a solar PV capacity as of December 2012 of more than 32.3 gigawatts (GW).[2] [3] The German new solar PV installations increased by about 7.6 GW in 2012, and solar PV provided 18 TWh (billion kilowatt-hours) of electricity in 2011, about 3% of total electricity.[4] Some market analysts expect this could reach 25 percent by 2050.[5] Germany has a goal of producing 35% of electricity from renewable sources by 2020 and 100% by 2050.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Germany

a4architect

Unread post by a4architect » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:52 am

On midday of Saturday May 26, 2012, solar energy provided over 40% of total electricity consumption in Germany, and 20% for the 24h-day. The federal government has set a target of 66 GW of installed solar PV capacity by 2030,[9] to be reached with an annual increase of 2.5–3.5 GW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_Germany

RV Heavy hitter!

Unread post by RV Heavy hitter! » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 am

RV Pundit wrote:Yeah the grass man...very bad poverty there...there are parts of bomet esp chepalungu...where it seem every hse is grass-thatched..in our place..there is barely any grass hse....i hope we had stats freely available and online....so policy wonks and the general public can be informed.
RV Heavy hitter! wrote:As standards of living improve, rural electrification will continue. There are folks still living in grass thatched houses all over rural Kenya. I think setting up robust mortgage programs targeting Rural folks with property like land and other securities will be good in the long run. I doubt someone with a modern house will continue using kerosine like the grass man. :lol:
I think with county governments unraveling slowly, the places that'll be lucky to get sophisticated stewardship will see a lot of these grass houses evaporate one one grass at a time. Government has power to lift millions from poverty by doing what private sector can't do...
With Love, Marriage is the most amazing event in one's life, the foundation of happiness, joy and success. , RVhh!
Natukae kwa Undugu, Amani na UHURU Muigai.'' - The National Anthem of Kenya