TRV, Njuri Njeke-the origin of the word Lumbwa

Politics
Panzer.
Level: Council of the gods

TRV, Njuri Njeke-the origin of the word Lumbwa

Unread post by Panzer. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:36 am

http://www.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/dn2/K ... index.html

The place known to the Kipsigis as Kipkelion was later renamed Lumbwa following a strange ritual, during which the Kipsigis and foreigners slaughtered a dog as a peace agreement. This was after the local people rebelled against colonial rule and threatened to stop the railway from passing through their land.
The first such ritual was first conducted in the 1840s, when Arab traders realised that the shortest route to the Kingdom of Buganda passed through Kipsigis country.
To guarantee their safety, anthropologist G.W.B. Huntingford says, the Arabs came up with a “blood brotherhood” ritual, during which they asked the Nandi and Kipsigis to sit down (kalia hapa in Kiswahili) and make a cut on their arms and suck each other’s blood, signifying that that they would never attack each other again.
The peace ritual came to be known as kalya or kaliet among the Kipsigis, and its use later spread to other Kalenjin sub-tribes. However, this foreign peace-making process meant little to the Kipsigis, who continued attacking the Arabs – until they heard of a more effective solution. Someone had told to them that a ritual that involved killing a dog, known as mumiatab ng’okto, would bring lasting peace.
" I was not strong enough to defend so I attacked" General Robert E. Lee. 1876

Njuri Ncheke

Re: TRV, Njuri Njeke-the origin of the word Lumbwa

Unread post by Njuri Ncheke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:30 am

Panzer. wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:36 am
http://www.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/dn2/K ... index.html

The place known to the Kipsigis as Kipkelion was later renamed Lumbwa following a strange ritual, during which the Kipsigis and foreigners slaughtered a dog as a peace agreement. This was after the local people rebelled against colonial rule and threatened to stop the railway from passing through their land.
The first such ritual was first conducted in the 1840s, when Arab traders realised that the shortest route to the Kingdom of Buganda passed through Kipsigis country.
To guarantee their safety, anthropologist G.W.B. Huntingford says, the Arabs came up with a “blood brotherhood” ritual, during which they asked the Nandi and Kipsigis to sit down (kalia hapa in Kiswahili) and make a cut on their arms and suck each other’s blood, signifying that that they would never attack each other again.
The peace ritual came to be known as kalya or kaliet among the Kipsigis, and its use later spread to other Kalenjin sub-tribes. However, this foreign peace-making process meant little to the Kipsigis, who continued attacking the Arabs – until they heard of a more effective solution. Someone had told to them that a ritual that involved killing a dog, known as mumiatab ng’okto, would bring lasting peace.
so what does lumbwa mean?
Mountain Warriors: Pre colonial warfare of The Meru of Mt.kenya

JahKikuyu
Level: Aristocrats

Unread post by JahKikuyu » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:16 am

Njuri Ncheke wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:30 am
Yiu are slow or what?

Can't you connect the words umbwa and lumbwa. Kind of like meru and temper; jaluo and prado; okuyu and mpango wa kando
JahKikuyu

True RV

Unread post by True RV » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 am

Panzer, I am not sure BUT what I am sure is that numerous names were adopted thru Ivory trade that was extending from Mombasa into current Uganda. Many of the adopted/written names were based on the name given by Masai's. Look for example the masai's Chamus (now Ilcamus), Keiyo renamed Elgeiyo no word like Elgeiyo), Kavirondo was given by people who lived near current Luo land. Kakamega is NOT really the name, real name is Ka Kimego aka the place of the people Kalenjins called Kimego people. There was no name like Nandi even when the great Nandi leader was brutally murdered by that Britis guy just because he refused to have the railway line go thru his land. The real name of Nandi is Chemwal aka the people who talk lots of stories when you meet.

I have no story about Lumbwa but people have theorised. The people Sirikwa who lived in holes have similar holes extending from Nandi land thru Keiyo land and ends somewhere near current Eldama ravine. How did the Kipsigis walk thru all the other Kalenjin tribes including so called Sirikwa into their current land. Note also that what people/tribes called themselves is NOT the same name others call them. Are Lumbwas=Sirikwa? Only DNA can say that.

Some IDIOTIC scholars from Kipsigis have written crazy RUBBISH on the origin of Kalenjins linking them to "Misri". That can only convince their blue eyed teacher to award them a PHD degree for their fake imaginations.

Masai name have always been masai. But Mt. Elgon masai was named coz they were tough Kalenjin tribe who fought the Ivory traders. Their real name is Sabaot tribe and they lived in a place called Kony; the coined Mt. Elgon (mt. of El Kony trine). They were not even that name but Sabaot or sabiny tribes depending on your background

there used to be a website: Ethnology.comthat was good info but I have never looked if the website still exists, 15 yrs ago

And for your info I have no time reading thru "rubbish" from journalists who base their stories from what was written by white men governing Teritory of British East Africa Kenya)

But read volumes of Lord Lugard, Volumes I and II. the governor of Britis East Africa and Nigeria.

ignore typoos, my keyboard
--TRV--
-TRV -

Kangaroo court still haunting TRV on 2007/8 as per January 23 2018.
I am a TRUE RV

Njuri Ncheke

Unread post by Njuri Ncheke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 am

JahKikuyu wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:16 am
Njuri Ncheke wrote:
Yiu are slow or what?

Can't you connect the words umbwa and lumbwa. Kind of like meru and temper; jaluo and prado; okuyu and mpango wa kando
oh thanks, i did not think it was that straight forward, interestingly why wasn't the place called after the kalenjin name for dog instead of the Swahili one...

Njuri Ncheke

Unread post by Njuri Ncheke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 am

True RV wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 am
Panzer, I am not sure BUT what I am sure is that numerous names were adopted thru Ivory trade that was extending from Mombasa into current Uganda. Many of the adopted/written names were based on the name given by Masai's. Look for example the masai's Chamus (now Ilcamus), Keiyo renamed Elgeiyo no word like Elgeiyo), Kavirondo was given by people who lived near current Luo land. Kakamega is NOT really the name, real name is Ka Kimego aka the place of the people Kalenjins called Kimego people. There was no name like Nandi even when the great Nandi leader was brutally murdered by that Britis guy just because he refused to have the railway line go thru his land. The real name of Nandi is Chemwal aka the people who talk lots of stories when you meet.

I have no story about Lumbwa but people have theorised. The people Sirikwa who lived in holes have similar holes extending from Nandi land thru Keiyo land and ends somewhere near current Eldama ravine. How did the Kipsigis walk thru all the other Kalenjin tribes including so called Sirikwa into their current land. Note also that what people/tribes called themselves is NOT the same name others call them. Are Lumbwas=Sirikwa? Only DNA can say that.

Some IDIOTIC scholars from Kipsigis have written crazy RUBBISH on the origin of Kalenjins linking them to "Misri". That can only convince their blue eyed teacher to award them a PHD degree for their fake imaginations.

Masai name have always been masai. But Mt. Elgon masai was named coz they were tough Kalenjin tribe who fought the Ivory traders. Their real name is Sabaot tribe and they lived in a place called Kony; the coined Mt. Elgon (mt. of El Kony trine). They were not even that name but Sabaot or sabiny tribes depending on your background

there used to be a website: Ethnology.comthat was good info but I have never looked if the website still exists, 15 yrs ago

And for your info I have no time reading thru "rubbish" from journalists who base their stories from what was written by white men governing Teritory of British East Africa Kenya)

But read volumes of Lord Lugard, Volumes I and II. the governor of Britis East Africa and Nigeria.

--TRV--
TRV the sirikwa were the people who lived in kenya before many of today's ethnic group came to Kenya, especially in the central and northern part of Kenya, actually sirikwa is kind of kalenjin meaning those who were before us, these people were of cushitic origin and not nilotic i assume, they were widespread even in Meru history they are mentioned and referred to as Mwoko and Meru Tigania found them in the northern areas of Meru, described as tall and long haired, Merus Tigania learnt pastoralism from them before eventually driving them out of the region ,and to answer you Sirikwa are NOT the Lumbwa they predate that occurrence by decades if not century, the sirikwa were extinct by around circa 1830AD in my estimation from the records and timelines i have read through .

joste

Unread post by joste » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am

Good observation Njuri Ncheke. I find the swahili origins for a Kalenjin place name/word as far-fetched.

Ati Kalya/Kaliet = kalia hapa?
Njuri Ncheke wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:58 am
JahKikuyu wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:16 am
Njuri Ncheke wrote:
Yiu are slow or what?

oh thanks, i did not think it was that straight forward, interestingly why wasn't the place called after the kalenjin name for dog instead of the Swahili one...
It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest... - Adam Smith in Wealth of Nations, 1776.

True RV

Unread post by True RV » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 am

Wrong to quote that way Njeke et al. Yes they say they are pple who lived here but there is ZERO GENETIC or HISTORICAL Proof. People give me an iota of proof that they were Sirikwas? I am not Historian but my great grandfather was killed by them. I know who were these people according to WARS of cows as detailed by Keiyo pple. There were NO Sirikwa people. they were simply "coincidentally" called Masai. They were "Chamus Masais" of now Ilchamus, and NOT proper Masai's.

They were quit migrating sect of masai wom we call Uasin Ghishu Masai. They dig holes to hide themselves only to strike next with deadly violence for one thing: cows. They even killed my great grandfather after cornering him by the bamboo trees.

TRV, truth

Njuri? NCheke
TRV the sirikwa were the people who lived in kenya before many of today's ethnic group came to Kenya, especially in the central and northern part of Kenya, actually sirikwa is kind of kalenjin meaning those who were before us, these people were of cushitic origin and not nilotic i assume, they were widespread even in Meru history they are mentioned and referred to as Mwoko and Meru Tigania found them in the northern areas of Meru, described as tall and long haired, Merus Tigania learnt pastoralism from them before eventually driving them out of the region ,and to answer you Sirikwa are NOT the Lumbwa they predate that occurrence by decades if not century, the sirikwa were extinct by around circa 1830AD in my estimation from the records and timelines i have read through .
-TRV -

Kangaroo court still haunting TRV on 2007/8 as per January 23 2018.
I am a TRUE RV

okoths72

Unread post by okoths72 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:31 am

True RV
the world scholars and Kipsigis obviously don't go hand in hand. It's an oxymoron probably they are idiotic for real.
You must be a real lumbwa or Umbwa.

"Some IDIOTIC scholars from Kipsigis"

True RV wrote:

--TRV--

RV Heavy hitter!

Unread post by RV Heavy hitter! » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 am

joste wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am
Good observation Njuri Ncheke. I find the swahili origins for a Kalenjin place name/word as far-fetched.

Joste Unatuna darasani
Kalya/Kaliet=Peace
The peace ritual came to be known as kalya or kaliet among the Kipsigis, and its use later spread to other Kalenjin sub-tribes.
With Love, Marriage is the most amazing event in one's life, the foundation of happiness, joy and success. , RVhh!
Natukae kwa Undugu, Amani na UHURU Muigai.'' - The National Anthem of Kenya

RV Heavy hitter!

Unread post by RV Heavy hitter! » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am

okoths72 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:31 am
True RV
the world scholars and Kipsigis obviously don't go hand in hand. It's an oxymoron probably they are idiotic for real.
You must be a real lumbwa or Umbwa.

"Some IDIOTIC scholars from Kipsigis"
It looks your brain is still disengaged after Uhuru beat down! Illegal swearing is kaput as we know it!
With Love, Marriage is the most amazing event in one's life, the foundation of happiness, joy and success. , RVhh!

joste

Unread post by joste » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 am

Bro RVHH,

It is the purported origin of "kalia hapa" for Kaliet that I find far-fetched.

I know kalya/kaliet is peace.
RV Heavy hitter! wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 am
joste wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am

Joste Unatuna darasani
Kalya/Kaliet=Peace
The peace ritual came to be known as kalya or kaliet among the Kipsigis, and its use later spread to other Kalenjin sub-tribes.
It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest... - Adam Smith in Wealth of Nations, 1776.

RV Heavy hitter!

Unread post by RV Heavy hitter! » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 am

joste wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:44 am
Bro RVHH,

It is the purported origin of "kalia hapa" for Kaliet that I find far-fetched.

I know kalya/kaliet is peace.
Huntingford says, the Arabs came up with a “blood brotherhood” ritual, during which they asked the Nandi and Kipsigis to sit down (kalia hapa in Kiswahili)
One of us bado anatuna darasani. Obviously I didn't read the full nation article but based on that excerpt, I thing am awake while bado unatuna. They asked Nandi/Kipsigis to sit down(Kalia hapa in swahili)...

Njuri Ncheke

Unread post by Njuri Ncheke » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:50 am

True RV wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:13 am
Wrong to quote that way Njeke et al. Yes they say they are pple who lived here but there is ZERO GENETIC or HISTORICAL Proof. People give me an iota of proof that they were Sirikwas? I am not Historian but my great grandfather was killed by them. I know who were these people according to WARS of cows as detailed by Keiyo pple. There were NO Sirikwa people. they were simply "coincidentally" called Masai. They were "Chamus Masais" of now Ilchamus, and NOT proper Masai's.

They were quit migrating sect of masai wom we call Uasin Ghishu Masai. They dig holes to hide themselves only to strike next with deadly violence for one thing: cows. They even killed my great grandfather after cornering him by the bamboo trees.

TRV, truth

Njuri? NCheke
According to the Marakwet, the Sirikwa "built the furrows, but they did not teach us how to build them; we only know how to keep them as they are."[2]
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php? ... type=topic

Garlic
Level: Imperial Majesty

Unread post by Garlic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Great debate on history of Kenyan tribes. I think Njuri is a historian.
Njuri Ncheke wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 am
True RV wrote:

--TRV--