Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Regional & GeoPolitical Issues
User avatar
Olekoima
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 am
Location: Namanga Border Point

Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by Olekoima » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:59 am

Posted on Thursday, 20 December 2012 18:09
Who are the exemplary armies in Africa?


South African army remains a continental force to reckon with/Photo©Reuters

Structural problems within certain sub-Saharan African armies have not obscured the overall quality, or progress in the past 10 years, for a few countries. 





After successfully contributing to the country's transition from apartheid to a democracy, the South African army remains a continental force to reckon with, especially in the areas of aviation and transport.



The South African army counts about 1,000 men serving in the rank and file of the United Nations Organisation for Stabilisation of Congo (MONUSCO).



Kenya is another highly rated African army. Its troops train regularly with their British and American counterparts. 



The result, as evidenced by the remarkable discipline of Kenyan soldiers whose offensive against al-Shebab by virtue of their collaboration with the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), is one of success.



And in spite of its somewhat aging technology, Kenya's army remains fully operational. 



Their efficiency has seen them participating in several deployments beyond their borders with large contingents in Somalia and South Sudan as well as acting as observers in DR Congo.

In Uganda, Kenyan soldiers have served as instructors.



And even though Uganda has suffered some heavy losses in Somalia, its 5000-strong force in the Horn of Africa country has demonstrated a level of military efficiency. 


Uganda is modernising its military arsenal with a good possibility of the US transferring intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance equipment to the east African country.



After accusations by the UN of supporting rebels in DR Congo M23, the powers that be in Kampala have threatened to withdraw from Somalia.

Should this occur, Ethiopia may have to send tens of thousands of men to Somalia. 

Ethiopia's military is already familiar with the harsh Somali territory.

The neighbouring Horn of Africa country has in the past defeated and sent al-Shebab packing.



Also accused of supporting the M23 rebel group by the UN, Rwanda's army is quite efficient. It is known for its impressive light infantry operations and anti-guerrilla warfare.



The UN itself recognises their skills, especially in the area of civil-military operations, after their deployment in Darfur.



Other countries that fall within this category of good African armies include Ghana and Tanzania, who are involved in numerous UN peacekeeping operations.



As the current crisis in northern Mali rages on, military experts have suggested that Chad and Mauritania, with their specialised units, are the only countries in the sub-region (like Uganda, Kenya and Ethiopia in east Africa) that can really dent the progress the jihadists have so far made.

Read the original article on Theafricareport.com : Who are the exemplary armies in Africa? | The Africa Report.com
Follow us: @theafricareport on Twitter
http://www.theafricareport.com/news-ana ... frica.html

RV Pundit
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 26539
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 am
Location: United Republican Party (URP)

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by RV Pundit » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:15 am

I would rank Egyptian army or RSA army first. Kenya are up there...in terms of quality. Of course Nigeria and Ethiopia have some of the largest armies..as you would expect given their demographics.
The only hope for kenya is devolution

User avatar
Olekoima
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 am
Location: Namanga Border Point

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by Olekoima » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:28 am

RV Pundit wrote:I would rank Egyptian army or RSA army first. Kenya are up there...in terms of quality. Of course Nigeria and Ethiopia have some of the largest armies..as you would expect given their demographics.
With the current chaos and confusion in Egypt, RSA comes first. Egypt might have a far larger standing army, but in terms of quality and weaponry they are not anywhere near South Africa. What is more, if we remove US support Egypt falters even further. I' am not quite sure of Nigeria though. They seem to be having numerous problems of their own. They need to first sort these. Well Ethiopia is quite powerful, i agree.

User avatar
Terminator
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 10192
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:06 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by Terminator » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:48 am

I would put Egypt before RSA. Though a meaningless comparison. RSA is good. But their posture is to defend against Zim and the likes. Egypt on the other hand has to have some respectable deterrence for Israel. This is reflected in the hardware superiority of the Egyptian military. RSA has superior indigenous technology.
A bullet from a 14-year-old is just as effective as one from a 40-year-old. Often more effective.

User avatar
Olekoima
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 am
Location: Namanga Border Point

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by Olekoima » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:37 am

The North African pair of Algeria and Morocco are other very well armed and powerful countries with large standing armies. I wonder why each year they engage each other in an expensive arms race yet there are no obvious threats facing them. They have got weapons even better than those of some European states.

User avatar
mburugokubwa
Level: Imperial Majesty
Posts: 2546
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:42 am

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by mburugokubwa » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm

for me Egypt Algeria Morocco are the best armed nations in Africa.. and Nigeria south Africa Angola come into the second group while Kenya,Uganda,Ethiopia,Sudan, Tanzania comes into the third tire where Kenya have one of the best trained army but not enough equipment to project power... even though the countries GDP has the ability to provide for good armaments if we discounted corruption and nepotism.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Keny ... index.html

surely Egypt has for starters has a very large air force ...just look at its fighter ability Egypt learned very hard lessons in the Arab Israeli conflicts in early seventies and has made moves to have a very robust air defense ability /command.
in reality they have close to 500 combat aircraft and over 200 armed helicopters.

250 F16( fourth or third largest operator in the world)
32 F4 PHANTOMS
60 MIRAGE V
18 MIRAGE 2000
62 MIGS (ASSORTED )
.. PLUS A VERY LARGE AIR MOBILITY AND TRANSPORT ABILITY..with helicopters and air defense missiles and systems

it has the largest land army in Africa with thousands of the latest American made tanks and APCS
no other army in Africa or the Arab world has close to 500,000 active military men and another 485,000 reserve forces .. meaning they have close to 1 million men under arms.

User avatar
Olekoima
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 am
Location: Namanga Border Point

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by Olekoima » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:14 am

mburugokubwa wrote:for me Egypt Algeria Morocco are the best armed nations in Africa.. and Nigeria south Africa Angola come into the second group while Kenya,Uganda,Ethiopia,Sudan, Tanzania comes into the third tire where Kenya have one of the best trained army but not enough equipment to project power... even though the countries GDP has the ability to provide for good armaments if we discounted corruption and nepotism.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Keny ... index.html

surely Egypt has for starters has a very large air force ...just look at its fighter ability Egypt learned very hard lessons in the Arab Israeli conflicts in early seventies and has made moves to have a very robust air defense ability /command.
in reality they have close to 500 combat aircraft and over 200 armed helicopters.

250 F16( fourth or third largest operator in the world)
32 F4 PHANTOMS
60 MIRAGE V
18 MIRAGE 2000
62 MIGS (ASSORTED )
.. PLUS A VERY LARGE AIR MOBILITY AND TRANSPORT ABILITY..with helicopters and air defense missiles and systems

it has the largest land army in Africa with thousands of the latest American made tanks and APCS
no other army in Africa or the Arab world has close to 500,000 active military men and another 485,000 reserve forces .. meaning they have close to 1 million men under arms.
No, it doesn't go this way. First, you have overrated Angola. Is it on account of her massive military expenditure? Nigeria too may not feature that high up currently. Yes it is a force to reckon with, but they seem to have issues at the moment which they may first need to sort. Egypt is strong i agree, but you should not base this on the number of military assets they have nor the number of troops. These may not mean much. In 1982, a militarily superior Libya in terms of personnel and weapons lost to a supposedly weak Chad over the Haozou (sp) strip. A similar scenario obtained for the Arab-Israeli war of 1967. Israel with slightly more than 100,000 forces and 193 combat jets ruthlessly defeated an allied Arab force many times bigger. At that time, Egypt alone had more than 575 modern combat jets. Virtually all these jets save for 12 were wiped out not to mention Syrian, Jordanian and others. Thus there is much more than numbers and equipment. There are tactics, command, training etc.
Why for example is DRC's army so poor yet they have some of the best weapons around and over 100,000 men?

User avatar
Panzer.
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 5601
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:39 am

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by Panzer. » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:25 am

RSA forces were shaped by total trade embargo and fear of USSR and even OAU during apartheid/cold war, this led to (a baptism by fire) a development of highly effective and sophisticated forces with superior weapons comparable to those of USA, UK and USSR; actually RSA exports weapons to UK. Put it this way, if RSA was to go to war with Egypt who will win? RSA will win but narrowly.
Terminator wrote:I would put Egypt before RSA. Though a meaningless comparison. RSA is good. But their posture is to defend against Zim and the likes. Egypt on the other hand has to have some respectable deterrence for Israel. This is reflected in the hardware superiority of the Egyptian military. RSA has superior indigenous technology.
" I was not strong enough to defend so I attacked" General Robert E. Lee. 1876

User avatar
Olekoima
Level: Council of the gods
Posts: 3137
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 am
Location: Namanga Border Point

Re: Who Are the Exemplary Armies in Africa?

Unread post by Olekoima » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 am

Panzer. wrote:RSA forces were shaped by total trade embargo and fear of USSR and even OAU during apartheid/cold war, this led to (a baptism by fire) a development of highly effective and sophisticated forces with superior weapons comparable to those of USA, UK and USSR; actually RSA exports weapons to UK. Put it this way, if RSA was to go to war with Egypt who will win? RSA will win but narrowly.
Terminator wrote:I would put Egypt before RSA. Though a meaningless comparison. RSA is good. But their posture is to defend against Zim and the likes. Egypt on the other hand has to have some respectable deterrence for Israel. This is reflected in the hardware superiority of the Egyptian military. RSA has superior indigenous technology.
I' am tempted to agree with you @ Panzer.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest